Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The morning after

It seems inconceivable that I not write something today. Some right-leaning friends see yesterday's election and Obama win as the beginning of the end of the world. While I am far from being a far-left liberal myself, I just don't see it that way. Mr. Obama is our newly elected president. He is not our new king or dictator. On issues I agree with or disagree with, he will have to work with congress and will have opposition. The democratic party does not have a firewall, and even if they did, they are rarely monolithic. Take environmental rules that may discourage the use of clean coal. That may (or may not) be Obama's plan, but how is he going to get the representatives of Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Wyoming, and Montana on board?

I find myself fiscally conservative and socially liberal. I guess that makes me a Libertarian. I don't generally do bumper stickers, yet I've got a Kinky Friedman and a Constitution Voter (ACLU) sticker on my white truck. I will disagree with much the new administration will try to do, but I have a hard time imagining that I will disagree with more than I have been disagreeing with over the last 8 years.

No comments: