Wednesday, November 26, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

It may be a bit early to be discussing resolutions for 2009, but how about an assessment of those made for 2008?

New Year's resolutions are not something I have generally done. In fact, goals are not something I've generally done. Somehow, the establishment of specific, written, shared goals has always seemed to be setting myself up for failure. I apply the same philosophy when I drive on vacation. If I don't know where I'm going, I can't possibly get lost.

Glenda has urged me for years to be better at setting and tracking goals. She's not alone. Over the years Zig Ziglar, Tony Robbins, Dr. Wayne Dyer and the vendors of dozens of organization and accomplishment systems have told me the same as have my cherished mentors and spiritual advisers. For the most part, I have steadfastly resisted such well-meaning pressure.

This writing is inspired because yesterday, searching for some arcane item, I came across my 2008 resolutions. I did make resolutions. I even wrote them down. My 2008 resolutions were expressed in two simple words: WRITE and CONNECT. I had even set up a notebook complete with calendar to track my progress.

By CONNECT I meant to communicate more regularly and more effectively with family, friends and business relations. My resolution states, "Call siblings and children weekly. Contact three business associates each work day: 1 new prospect, 1 current client, 1 past client." Doesn't sound too demanding, does it?

By WRITE I meant to write thoughts or impressions daily, including a summary of what I had done each day to implement my resolutions. I had hoped that the simple fact of journalling would improve my writing skills and motivate me to write even more.

So the question becomes: How did I do? (Followed almost instantly by, "Who cares?") At the risk of displeasing anyone who has read this far, I'll ignore the second question for now. In an attempt to make an honest evaluation of my 2008 resolutions, I believe that there is both progress and failure. Progress in that I have done SOME of what I resolved. Failure in that I have not done well at all I resolved. For instance, the notebook has daily written entries all the way through January 3, 2008! Then nothing, so: failure. But this blog started late in the year, and I think it should count for something. So, not a total failure. On the communications front I would have to say probably even less successful. I've not been disciplined about picking up the telephone (an instrument that I loathe.) Communication with business associates has been haphazard and reactive rather than proactive. But not a total failure either, as I have done better than in the past, calling siblings quite a few times over the year and having meaningful communications with my children more often.

Resolutions. They surely are not EZ! How did you do in 2008? Do you have big plans for 2009?

No comments: