Saturday, August 8, 2009

My Garmin Nuvi 260 sucks....

I may have more on this later, but, in a nutshell: I purchased and installed an updated version of the map software (for $119.00) just before I started our current 19-day 5,000 mile road trip. Prior to the upgrade, my "broad in the box" was pretty reliable--I trusted her based on two years of near-flawless performance. After the upgrade, she can't guide us to addresses in her own database. She advises us to turn on streets that don't exist; leads us to restaurants that have been out of business for 15 years; advises a 90-mile-plus detour off the interstate as the "shortest time" route (when it clearly is not); can't tell the difference between 9th Street East and 19th Street East; and seems to be generally confused; chimes, "Now arriving at destination on left." when we are more than a mile from the destination; and advises critical exits 200 or 300 yards AFTER we have passed them on the interstate. Just let me say that Garmin is going to hear from me...

Meanwhile, Google Maps on my Palm Centro has saved us a couple of times with current and accurate information that the Garmin just does not have. Why did I pay $119.00 for an update?

Why cannot anything be EZ?

1 comment:

~~Mama Sage said...

So then what you're telling me is that putting off an update was a good thing for us, right? We laughed when we were in Florida and it was showing us we were driving across fields. The road was right there under our wheels but whatever. It gave us the general idea and then we relied on my phone too. Why do we even have the GPS? Because my brother gave it to us. Guess we aren't getting an update after your experience. lol