Monday, November 10, 2008

A family-friendly TSA? What a concept!

Today CNN reports that the TSA is going to add "family-friendly" lanes to all major airport security operations. These lanes are to allow families and those with special needs to process through security at a less-frenzied pace, and are to be staffed with officers who can help with the extra screening. I suppose that moving those needing extra time to a different lane may even make it easier and quicker for everyone else.

This is an interesting concept, sounds service-oriented, and I'm anxious to see the implementation. In the CNN article, much reference was made to liquids in quantities larger than 3 ounces; a "special need" for infants and some adults. Specifically mentioned was insulin and contact lens fluid.

I wonder if they will find the ability to gracefully handle other special needs.

By physical necessity, my wife wears a leg brace which is an integral part of her left shoe. She cannot remove this brace/shoe combination standing up unless she has assistance. This past February (2008), we were returning home from a family funeral in Las Vegas. As we approached the first security point, boarding pass and ID out and ready, the TSA officer told my wife that she must remove her shoes (the tone of voice and attitude of the TSA officer are subjective matters and could be misinterpreted so I'll not comment on them here, except to note that I did not find the tone especially cheery.) My wife replied that she would be happy to remove her shoes but needed a place to sit to do so. At that point, all hell broke loose. The seated female TSA officer jumped to her feet, shouted and directed that there was no place to sit, the shoes must be removed, and accused my wife of refusing to comply with her order to remove the shoes. My wife, mouth agape, speechless, looked shell-shocked, so I made the mistake of speaking up. In the most polite manner I could muster I said, "Excuse me, officer. She wears a leg brace and can’t remove the shoes without sitting." For my polite explanation the female TSA officer forcefully told me to shut-up and that if she heard one more word from me, I would be placed under arrest. I was ordered through the security line, leaving my wife behind. I'm ashamed to admit I was so cowed that I complied.

After clearing security, I sat, gathering my belongings and my wits, and pondering who I could call for help. After about 10 minutes, another female TSA officer approached me and asked if was the husband, to which I responded in the affirmative. This officer said that she had intervened in my wife's behalf and had taken steps to get her a chair and to get her through security. She then stated that she fully expected to be fired for her actions. I wish I knew her name so that we could publically praise her. Just then my wife appeared on the "clean" side of security. We both thanked the second officer for her compassionate help and then were on our way to our flight.

[Warning: Satire Alert, Level Yellow.] Thanks, TSA, for keeping us safe from medical prosthetics. Thanks McCarren Airport and Southwest Airlines for allowing your security point to make such a strong impression on the travelling public. A big thanks to the belligerent female officer (well, I guess I am commenting on her attitude after all) for using your position of authority to so completely degrade and humiliate us in public while trampling all over the Federal ADA rules in the process. [End Satire Alert.] I wish I knew that officer's name, too.

Here's a sincere public thanks to the second TSA officer who stuck out her neck to help and to truly protect a citizen, and to all of the TSA officers who perform a difficult job while respecting the time and humanity of the travelers.

There is never anything as EZ as it should be.

No comments: