Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Surviving

As of today, and for the time being, I am a cancer survivor. Perhaps on the lower rungs of that ladder. Yesterday, my dermatologist removed the offending growth from my back, just below my right shoulder blade. The incision is four inches long and has two layers of stitches. Properly anesthetized, the actual minor surgery was not painful. This morning, with the meds worn off, the site hurts a bit. I have to return on August 1st to have the stitches out. The doctor said they would be doing an "edge analysis" of the removed growth to ensure they took enough to "get it all." He said he would define this removal as an "early detection" and I should have no further problem with this particular growth. The literature they gave me quotes an "85% cure rate with early detection." Time will tell.




No comments: