Friday, January 3, 2014

Easy, but strange, dreams.

A note from late last summer. I had lost track of it until today, and I wanted to record it here as sort of a diary or journal entry. The event was recorded on September 1, 2013, and refers to a dream from the night before.

September 1, 2013

Last night I dreamt that I went to our basement laundry room and opening the door, saw a large brown rat lying on the floor apparently dying. His eyes were open and he looked at me piteously. I closed the door, went upstairs and told Glenda, my wife, that there was a rat dying in our brightly-lit and stylish laundry room. This was strange because we don't have a basement. We don't really even have a laundry room as such. And, maybe more significant, I have never seen a rat in our home. But it was just a dream, right?

So this morning at about 9AM I went out to the pool house to put something away, there on the concrete just by the door was a large and dead brown rat. Hmmmm. I've seen all manner of critters in the yard around the pool and garden. Raccoons, opossums, skunks, rabbits, scorpions, and even snakes. But I have not ever seen a rat. Until now. So I'd call this strange. Also, I don't often remember dreams. This dream was vivid in my memory. What are the odds I'd dream of a dying rat and the very next day, for the first time in my 63 years I'd find a similar-looking rat dead just outside my home?  Strange. 

No comments: